Tuesday, May 01, 2012

POST IT!


I was in discussion with some friends recently about how public this era has become.  Every person deems him/herself to be the star of their own reality show and this is facilitated by the numerous social media available to these "no name" stars.

If I'm walking down the street and something unusual happens, my first instinct is to grab my smartphone and post it.  I got my first cell phone twelve years ago after I'd left college, now if I leave home and somehow forgot to bring it with me I return home for it, and if I can't return home I experience ridiculous feelings of anxiety until I'm reunited with my phone.  Have I gone crazy?!  There are many people whose feelings, wardrobe, menu etc I am aware of every minute of the day all because they are busy posting and I'm busy following their posts. 

The tag line often used is that we are in the information age, but are we acquiring useful information?  I know I have had to check myself recently because I have become too addicted to this kind of life, I fear that if I'm not careful God'll have to read my posts to hear what I'm feeling, for though he can already read my thoughts and emotions I do not utter them to Him.  My first thought upon waking is too often "update my status and see what everyone else is saying".

There's nothing wrong with been tech savvy, sharing information or wanting to be aware of what is happening in the world around you; but balance (there goes my new favourite word again) is crucial to healthy living.  In another setting the Apostle Paul warned against doing something merely because it was not wrong biblegateway.com and the same principle can be applied when dealing with our information craved society. 

Check yourself:
  • Is your social media page the first n last thing on your mind everyday? 
  • Do you have "friends" on your page whom you don't even recognise if you see them in the street? 
  • Will God need to send you a friend request in order to know your daily thoughts and experiences? (unless of course He read your mind)

1 comment:

Always appreciate the feedback <3