Friday, June 22, 2012

Self Righteous Pricks!

How often I've classified the Biblical Scribes and Pharisees as legalistically right yet spiritually wrong.  It's amazing however how quickly many of us point a finger without noticing the three turned back at us.

Having been brought up in a Christian home in which I was made to go to church every week and participate in church activities, I never really got into anything bad.  Later when I chose to accept Jesus Christ as my Saviour and the Lord of my life, I made the decision to continue to do  the things that were customary for church people.  The point is for a long time I supposed that because I wasn't a bad person, (fortunately I never vocalised this misconception) less of Jesus' blood was needed to wash me from my sin.  Talk about a misguided approach!  Not one of us outside of the power of Jesus Christ has the ability to be good"For all have sinned..." the good book says and all need God's divine intervention for healing to take place.  It is not my upbringing or actions that have made me good as far as God is concerned; for one's mother, father, sibling, spouse or other relative has no bearing on one's spiritual state, and Jesus Christ is the only contact we can use to get into Heaven. 

Realising that from a spiritual stand point I am no better than the man/woman who came to Jesus after he had raped, robbed or murdered has been quite sobering.  The self-aggrandising nature of most of us makes this an extremely bitter pill to swallow but I have opted to use it to challenge me to rep Christ to the fullest since I haven't earned my place in the kingdom - it was given to me just like everybody else. 

I'm grateful for the scars my upbringing has helped to shield me from; but it is a reality that if I truly want to please God it's what I do with Jesus that counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always appreciate the feedback <3