Monday, November 13, 2017

Damn I forgot my makeup bag


There's nothing quite as humbling as not having your makeup on point (well of course there is, but for the purposes of this post...)

We live in a world where we're constantly being judged (although for some of us half of it is our own doing because we're so addicted to taking selfies and making social media posts), so there is the feeling of a need for keeping appearances powdered to perfection (whatever perfect is). 

I've however long come to a place of relative self acceptance, which for me means I hate my flaws but I no longer feel inferior because of them.  I'll be quick to acknowledge that this acceptance was a long and arduous process.  In fact after I typed and reread that line I realised that I should actually say it "continues to be a long and arduous process" (and it's a process that I have to stick to because I can't afford plastic surgery and walking around with body dismorphia is unhealthy).

Makeup n non-makeup selfie days
#EverydayIsAselfieDay
Interestingly, there was a time in my adult life when I didn't wear as much makeup as I do now.  There are still some days (few they be) when I scrap the eyebrow and winged eyeliner bit and just daub on a bit of powder to control the grease.  Fewer still when I forego makeup altogether and hit the streets au naturel.  Nevertheless, I keep a 'to go' makeup pouch for those on the road touchups that I've deemed are quite necessary, and it is quite annoying when I change bags for an event in the evening then somehow forget to replace that 'to go' pouch into my work bag the following morning #grrr@self.  You can imagine the sheer horror when I reach into my bag for that traffic light touch up (nevermind I just left my house five minutes ago) or worse after lunch (and by then I really need it) and have nothing to use.

There was also a time in the very recent past when those "Damn I forgot my makeup" days would truly dampen my mood.  Because I believed there was a circle of grease in the centre of my forehead or at the tip of my nose (and there probably was), I would try to keep a low profile because I didn't want others taking note of it.  These thoughts of insecurity got worse when I hit the late 30s and started to suffer acne outbreaks; so my problem was now grease AND spots.

I can't point specifically to what has ignited this awakening but I do want to share that it's necessary to stare (or glare) at our perceived flaws meanwhile accepting that 'this is me', and it's such a mentally liberating place to be.  Of course wear the makeup! But I think every woman needs to be at that point where she does not see her made up face as the complete definition of who she is and what she brings to the table.

My mantra now is, it's totally ok to NOT be dolled up all the time, and so makeup should be like a cute little dress or a great outfit, and not an essential, like underwear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always appreciate the feedback <3