Saturday, November 04, 2017

Japan Chronicles: Foodology

Do you know what a foodie is?  Are you a foodie?   


Pork thing and Soba
I know people who hum when it's time to eat.  Some even shake some part of their body - do a little bit of a dance.  Is it involuntary?  I'm not sure.  They're so excited about the prospect of food that this is how their body responds and they can't do much about it perhaps.  I used to be disgusted by people who responded like that, after all it's just food.  Then I realised that because we're different our levels of excitement about different things will manifest themselves differently.    


There are others who like to talk about food - it's texture, the recipe, the identifiable types of seasoning.  I shared an apartment for a few years with a friend who was a definite foodie.  She would often seek to tell me about the recipe of some dish she'd seen being prepared on the Food Network, even try to include me in her occasional analysis of possible alternative ingredients because the ones offered were difficult to obtain, expensive or fattening. Because she knew I didn't really care she would most often preface these conversations with "I know you're not really interested but..." then proceed to tell me anyway.  And because we were friends I could be honest with her by faking a yawn or rolling my eyes as she would try to share the details. 

No clue what this was
Food for me has been chiefly related to convenience, sustenance and curiosity.  Because of this, I will try anything.  I'll then decide if I liked it enough to have it again or not. 

Seafood Medley of sorts
I mostly consume Japanese food via school lunches.  Half the time I have no clue what I'm having and I'm ok with that.  Sometimes I can identify its category (meat/seafood/vegetable/root) but many times I'm not even sure of that - doesn't really matter anyhow.  


A major difference between Japanese and Caribbean food is the seasoning.  Japanese food is bland (at least to my Caribbean palate) while Caribbean food is spicy and flavoured.  It still doesn't negate the adventure I've been having by trying things that don't exist, are not considered edible, or just taste different because of preparation styles, in the Caribbean (for food, like many other things, is impacted by cultural heritage).
One mince thing - could have been beef  - and tofu
I promised myself I'd learn the preparation method of even one thing so that I can meet the social expectation of being able to prepare a Japanese dish when I visit home.  I always laugh at myself when I go out and see other people querying recipes and I join in the conversation with feigned interest.  I'd better get genuine, pay attention and record the recipe next time.


Rice and eggs are pretty much staples ...Oh n seaweed
Kudos to the people who study food and enjoy preparing and creating varieties for it.  I don't really care but I know tens of people do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always appreciate the feedback <3