Thursday, November 29, 2018

Ah Ha! So that's what's missing from my life!

I recently read Shel Silverstein's "The Missing Piece" and "The Missing Piece Meets the Big O".  They're categorised as children's books, perhaps because they're animated or have one line pages?  I dunno.  But there's some real deep stuff embedded that adults should definitely read too.

In the first one, there's this circular-like shaped creature missing a wedge (I'm gonna go ahead and say this creature is symbolic of a guy or a girl).  The thing is rolling around looking for the wedge it's missing.  The story tells of its adventures as it searches.

In the second, there's this piece, a wedge - looks like a slice of pizza (I'm still gonna go with the guy/girl symbolism) waiting around to be the fit for what's missing in others.  The story tells of its efforts to attract and fit into another so that it can begin to go around and have experiences.

In my mind, both characters are  striking reflections of what many waste chunks of their lives doing -  'searching for' or 'waiting for'.  We too often dream of saying (or hearing it said to us) "you complete me" (and don't get me wrong, I totally get it... cue Tom Cruise's enamouring green eyes while I swoon).  Movies, media in general, heck the whole social culture paints the picture that depicts us all as explorers or undiscovered, needing to find or be found by that better half to make us whole.  I'm gonna go out on a limb and call this notion baloney, horse radish, bull crap?  Or maybe this is just a nearing 40 years old spinster vent? LOLOL #whoKnows

And yes, I hear the pages turning (or the keypads clicking) as some bring up Genesis 2:18 and the extra depthly (no such word don't look it up) mentally adding that though God could definitely have created Eve independently, He opted to use a rib from Adam to perhaps further signify the symbiotic nature of male/female relationships.
It's a truth that being alone sucks, but (and that's such a big 'but' I should have gone ahead and used caps) that 'Emergency Contact' doesn't have to be a spouse.  You don't have to be (or have) a parasite draining the other person's being just so a claim to have found your yin or yang or whatever, can be made.

 #goshDarnItIsoundMoreCynicalThanIreallyAm #iPromise

In the first Silverstein book, the thing finds that 'missing piece', but when the piece fits exactly into the open spot it only screws up everything about the life of the creature #ouch
The creature decides to remove the piece from its life and continue being that 'incomplete' (but happy) being.  That's a pretty cool lesson on the fact that stuff can be 'picture perfect' but besides the optics, it's a living hell.

The creature's experience triggered a few questions in my mind:
1.  If by inserting the piece that seemed perfect, its life became messed up, does that mean it really didn't fit?
Or
2. Is it that the real problem was the creature was selfish to want to keep on doing its life the same as it did prior to including the piece in it?
Or
3.  Just maybe, there's no such thing as a real fit so everyone has got to be prepared to abandon some things they love doing in exchange for not being void of a piece?

In the second book, after numerous failed efforts at attracting one to which it would fit, the pizza slice looking piece meets a whole - The Big O - that advises it to be its own being instead of waiting to fit another.  When the piece starts doing that, it actually develops into a whole and is able to start its own journey, eventually running into the 'O' again.  The final page features no words, just two wholes seeming to swipe right on each other.  #Tinder #NowThatsWhatIcallRomantic #CaniGetAhallelujah

It's not that we don't need people.  It's that the bit missing from us as individuals is not another person (completely different post required for me to to take this to the required spiritual levels)

We must each be our own whole selves and then when whole people connect, they create a kind of facultative NOT obligatory symbiosis (I totally just Googled that and only hope I've used it correctly).
If this wasn't possible I don't think the Apostle Paul would have offered kudos to the folk who opted to stay unmarried.

So do I think I fall into this group Paul talked about? Nope.  I'm with the ones in the next verse LOL
But like the creature in the first book I'm unwilling to sacrifice myself for the sake of optics and the pressure to appear stereotypically whole.  Like the piece in the second I am my own whole being, rolling around and having adventures.

Who knows, maybe I get lucky and roll into another whole and we enjoy being individually whole together.  #IloveHowConvolutedThatSounds

If all this sounds familiar it's probably because I said it all before in that book I wrote back in 2012

2 comments:

  1. Dani I love how you write. I concur with the thought of being a whole rather than a piece seeking to fit into another to be whole. Your random thoughts might not be be random after all.😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the feedback!
    (Especially the part about you loving how I write :P #stillDreamingOfMakingItInThisField)

    ReplyDelete

Always appreciate the feedback <3