Thursday, March 09, 2023

Stating the Obvious? 005 #LifeNuggets #outsideTheBox


005: Don't get boxed in

I went to high school during a time (clearly reminiscent of the dark ages) when the generally accepted beliefs were that academic pursuit in the natural sciences was the gold standard.  If you went on to be a medical doctor of some kind, then you'd have achieved the pinnacle of success
If you didn't quite make the cut and 'ended up' becoming a science teacher (because of course no one really starts out wanting to be a teacher right?) then at the very least, you'd hold a 'pinnacle spot' in the respectable subject hierarchy at whatever school you found yourself. If you 'had to become' another type of medical professional such as a nurse or technician, you didn't gain anything close to the r-e-s-p-e-c-t #inMyArethaVoice of that given to doctors and frankly your medical expertise would be consistently questioned and doubted.

Still admired but undoubtedly a few notches below, were those interested in the arts (excluding actual artists #goFigure). These were generally the English and History majors, destined to become the jurists of tomorrow. Or, if they similarly couldn't hack it, hold the number two spot in the respectable subjects list when they taught somewhere or pursued writing careers.

Floating around in 3rd place, but distantly so, were the social scientists - only back then we called them business students - future secretaries (I know we were quite limited in our thinking - flat earthers if you will) or the ones who would become bankers. Either way, they all would be working to manage the 'millions' that the doctors and lawyers would earn or to organise their ever booked out calendars.

At the very bottom of this ludicrous caste, you'd find those who did the 'technical' subjects. They learned to build things, sew things, cook things; and in the 'lesser schools' (i.e. non-traditional ones) they additionally styled hair and nails. Invariably, the bulk of the football, netball and track athletes would be found among these groups of students because naturally, serious students didn't have time to pursue sports. #goodGrief #facepalm

Even as I type this I'm wavering between utter disbelief and amusement at the foolish audacity of our thinking... but then 30 years was a long time ago. 
I even remember my parents telling me I couldn't take art because it wouldn't be 'useful'. 
While I took the subject they wanted me to take, Spanish, in protest I deliberately did nothing besides go to class and take naps for two years - very foolish I realise when I reflect on it since the only person I ended up spiting was myselfπŸ˜†. #follyOfYouth

But I digress.

The real deal


The best education of course combines as many areas as possible.  When I was in high school it was 'impossible' to study, for example, history and physics - the schools just weren't set up to accommodate it. Years later however when I became a teacher at my alma mater, I realised that the programmes were structured to support combinations; and it's fantastic how far we've come! Few 13 and 14 year olds know what they want to do. Besides, what is learnt in high school barely scratches the surface of all there is to learn so there's really no need to limit the exposure is there?
Heck, I'm in my forties and I'd been lying if I said I was cemented in my thinking that I am where I want to be.

Never stop learning


Fortunately, I've not regretted the path my academic life has taken since it has opened numerous doors for fantastic experiences. But I've certainly embraced and pursued other interests and encourage everyone to do the same. Naturally, financial and personal demands will influence the degree to which this can be done; but finding a way to do it is worth consideration. Whether out of a need for a secondary income source or for personal enjoyment/fulfilment, or whether it's for a combination of these; just don't allow yourself to get parceled into a singular thing, even if you don't yet know how to do anything else.
Continuous learning should be our goal. Who says we have to do only one thing for however long we get to be here? Furthermore, In a world where information is at our fingertips, there's arguably no justification for getting bored and stuck. 

Check out my 'ad hoc' resume


Sewing

I bought a dress online. I loved the print and the basic style but when it came, I looked, to use my sister's description, matronly. Nothing wrong with that of course if it's the look you're going for, but for me it certainly was not. My dad is a trained tailor, my mom sews as a hobby (if memory serves me right she took courses some place) and one of my aunts is a designer and seamstress. So when I got out my sewing kit I figured I'd channel my inner them haha under the guidance of YouTube Sensei too of course πŸ˜‰ I was satisfied with the results and haven't closed the door to the possibility of doing it more frequently.

Nails
I wanted to get my nails done but the cost of a single salon visit was more than the cost of all the tools I'd need to get if I did  them myself. What's the worst that could happen right? Several YouTube videos later I practised on my left hand. Let me just say that I have renewed respect for the job that nail technicians do. I am getting better but the quality is only good enough to satisfy myself 😊 but with more practise I believe I can get better...

Hair

Over the years I'm sure I've by now saved myself thousands of dollars because I can do my hair myself.  That is one thing I've done reasonably well enough to also turn into a side hustle. Two years ago (via YouTube and Instagram) I learned another dreadlocking technique. I use it only on myself right now but as I get better and more confident I'll probably get a chance to try it on other people if they're brave enough to let me.

The point

This is of course more than a chest thumping piece LOLOL. I'm hopefully getting to the point right about now.
There was a time when I thought trying many different things meant you were flippant or fickle, but now I know better. Because of fear, some of us continue with the same thing in the same way even if we derive little or no pleasure from it, or even if we've plateaued and there's nothing more to gain from it. We continue because it's safe, because we fear trying and failing, or fear what other people might think/say about us when we should be saying "who gives a rodent's glutes?!" 

If it's legal, if it brings or has the potential to bring me joy, if it's within my reach, even if I have to stretch a little more than usual, I think it's worth trying.

Who says we have to stick to just one thing?

DON'T GET BOXED IN!


11 comments:

  1. Amazing read Dani! Insightful and relatable πŸ™ŒπŸΎπŸ™πŸΎ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great read. Never knew you had so many talents. But for me I never underestimate myself I've come to learn the sky is the limit. You've motivate me even more to open my restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thnx. The older I get, the more I realise how limitless that sky really is! Go for it!

      Delete
  3. Dani,
    Fantastic read. Both inspiring and realistic, it's never too late to pursue your aspirations or find your purpose. Reading your blog always makes me feel inspired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This truly warms my heart <3

      Delete
  4. DON'T GET BOXED IN!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one great chapter in that book that I am expecting #fingerscrossed.
    You can tell we're around the same age or I'm older (choosing the former could earn you a prize), when something is so relatable and spot on accurate! I remember getting the belt for trying out track and field - there went my chance to be Bolt's John the Baptist (sigh). I digressed (hand over face).

    I love your writing style and the stories you use it to tell. You are a Jill of all trades, but you have certainly mastered the language. Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha I love it! Truly appreciate the feedback :). Definitely thinking about that book too ☺️

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always enjoy your writing Daniele. I have share similar thoughts about this topic. Life is too short to box ourselves in. I am getting back into drawing which I loved as a child but stopped because I thought I had to choose between being an academic or a creative. How foolish? lol I know better now. Keep writing and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy you're returning to something you love. It's beyond crazy that we had to choose right?!

      Delete

Always appreciate the feedback <3